A Travellerspoint blog

Day 12 - Prahos Kbal - Wells from HOPE

Thursday, July 18, 2013


It was really rough getting up. Another bad sleep unfortunately. Good from the time I fell asleep to the time I woke up which was just before 3:00 am. I have been taking Melantonin in hopes of getting a decent sleep (thanks Lori for the bottle, so very appreciated as the others are taking it as well.) I am certain I fell asleep again but it wasn't too bad getting back to sleep. I dreamt vividly. My dreams since being in Cambodia are vivid and often times strange.

Woke up to someone pulling on my feet. I remember groaning and in my dream I was in a vehicle and someone was pulling on my feet for me to move over. I did get up when I realized it was Kailey waking me up to go for a walk. My eyes felt like they were glued shut and my eyes were sticky. No contact lenses for me today. Got dressed and went with Kailey to our usual walk path. We were just going to sit there, me taking photos and she writing in her journal. We were joined by one of the little girls, Rom's eldest daughter who is a very sweet and bright girl and speaks some English. It was a nice morning. Rainbow and Vivian came back from their usual morning run and we went back to the village for breakfast.

Also being in such heat we have had some issues with ants. Our peanut butter as well as the nutella jar lids were not sealed tight. Despite Vivian taking the initiative and double bagging both jars, ants still got in and were crawling all over both. Garbage. So sad. Fortunately they are so not attracted to hot sauce or our spicy nuts. The cookies that we buy, whenever we open a package, we always have to finish the bag as we don't want ants getting into them. Tough, but you can't leave cookies unattended.

After breakfast we started the same process as we did yesterday with the platform for the well. Except this time it was our well and it felt really good when it was done. Also someone on the team had purchased a new flag of Cambodia for the school, cost $3.00 and it was presented by a few team members to the teachers.

We were pretty tired after the well as we didn't get much sleep last night. Sometime around 4:30 am or earlier the dogs went crazy outside. The barking went on and on. The dogs, of which there are about 5 are a problem at night. They go crazy with barking and howling. There is not much affection shown here to the dogs. We of course, are not to touch them in case of rabies. The children do not pet the dogs and I have only seen one local play with a dog and it was not in the village. It was quite scary the first few nights going to the bathroom in the middle of the night as the dogs howl. On the other hand one night we left our door wide open and one of the dogs was guarding our room. He was still there in the morning when I woke up. We have also noticed that the dogs are very protective of the children. There are a lot of dogs in Cambodia (no not for food, at least I hope not, that's Korea).

We had lunch and after that a short lie down.

My very favorite little boy who reminds me very much of a young Andrew was walking around and I went to pick him up. He didn't cry and let me carry him. He is so very sweet. I gave him a picture book and he was really happy with it and walked around with it. His name is Biu. His big brother is never far from him and appears to be about 6 or so years old.

Another very cool thing that happened today was when I went to the bathroom, there was a bullfrog inside the bathroom and on a log just outside the bathroom was a praying mantis. I picked it up by it's back and carried it to the others. We took turns taking photos as the praying mantis didn't seem to want to escape from us. It was amazing that we got to hold a praying mantis and let it walk on our bodies. Definite highlight of today.

Then it was time to travel to a family's farm where we would assist with planting. We went by pick up truck but had to wait for a brief heavy rainstorm to pass. After we got to the farm we met the family. Husband and wife and 10 children. Five of the children were married and the younger children appeared to be somewhere from 7 or 8 to maybe 10 or so. Their home was surrounded by dogs, chickens and a very young black and white kitten. I was so very tempted to pet the kitten but didn't dare for fear of rabies. Their roof was a thatched roof with wood sides. It was the home of someone poor in resources for certain. They had on their property though, a well from HOPE and this made a difference in their lives. They could now farm. The well is shared with about 5 families in the rainy season and in the dry season double that. They were growing yams, papaya, and corn. These crops had already started growing and some were quite tall.

Our job today was planting pumpkins seeds and we helped to do about 4 rows of pumpkins. Then came the fun part in the blistering hot sun. At one point we were offered a ride to go back to our village as it appeared that a rainstorm was imminent. We declined and the rain never came. At least not until I was back in our village and in the shower. It was less than 5 minutes so no impact. Our new job was weeding around the yam plants. It took us a substantial amount of time, squatting or sitting on the ground while we pulled out the toughest grass weeds. Deeply rooted and tough grass. It was labour intensive. Personally, I preferred hauling buckets of cement or water.

Along the road I saw quite a few wells supplied by HOPE. At $1,000 each they cost a bit of money but they bring so much independence and self-sufficiency to the people of Pursat. HOPE has put in hundreds of wells. What a huge difference this has made for people's lives.

After we were done here we left to go back to the pick up truck and the village.

Shower time and waiting for dinner again.

Tomorrow will be our last day in Pursat until Monday.

Reading in bed is tough. I use my headlamp to read which works well but the light attracts tons of bugs. They fly in an erractic pattern. One night one crashed into the corner of my eye. Not so fun removing it from my eye. Up your nose, into your mouth, you get the picture. It was easier after a while to just turn off the light and go to sleep.

Posted by Sydney324 17:37 Archived in Cambodia Tagged cambodia well hope farming prahos kbal

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.